SWIM Service Description Handbook
Last updated: OCTOBER 3rd, 2019
Handbook supporting the EUROCONTROL Specification for SWIM Service Description (Edition 1.0, Edition date: 01/12/2017, Reference nr: EUROCONTROL-SPEC-168)
Role of the handbook
The Specification for SWIM Service Description sets out a number of requirements to be met by a service description. It provides some basic examples to illustrate the requirements. However, the specification does not give much detail on how to satisfy the requirements.
This handbook gives guidances to help service description authors to satisfy the requirements.
The guidance contained in the handbook promotes the creation of better service descriptions. It will lead to greater harmonisation in the implementation of the specification.
The SWIM Service Description Handbook is advisory in nature. It is created and maintained by a community of interest and evolves over times as the community identifies new examples and good practices. To become a member of the community, please send an email to email@example.com.
The handbook includes the requirements found in the Specification for SWIM Service Description. However, it does not replace the specification. Users of the handbook are advised to download the specification using the quick links above.
- Service description authors
Structure of the handbook
Section Introducing the specification introduces the purpose and context for the specification and the role of service description.
Section Guidance on individual requirements provides support wtih guidance organised per requirement contained in the specification.
Section Resources for service descriptions provides resources such as template, schema and conformance matrix.
Section FAQ lists received questions and tentative answers, often providing an alternative access to the supporting material.
Full table of contents
- Introducing the specification
- Guidance on individual requirements
- SWIM-SERV-001 Description coverage
- SWIM-SERV-002 Description language
- SWIM-SERV-003 Define abbreviations
- SWIM-SERV-004 Use standard abbreviations
- SWIM-SERV-005 Description identification
- SWIM-SERV-006 Service identification
- SWIM-SERV-007 Service abstract
- SWIM-SERV-008 Service provider
- SWIM-SERV-009 Service categories
- SWIM-SERV-010 Service standard reference
- SWIM-SERV-011 Operational needs
- SWIM-SERV-012 Service functionality
- SWIM-SERV-013 Access and use conditions
- SWIM-SERV-014 Quality of service
- SWIM-SERV-015 Technical constraint
- SWIM-SERV-016 Service interfaces
- SWIM-SERV-017 Message exchange pattern
- SWIM-SERV-018 TI Profile and bindings
- SWIM-SERV-019 Protocols and data format
- SWIM-SERV-020 Machine-readable interface
- SWIM-SERV-021 Service operations
- SWIM-SERV-022 Information definition
- SWIM-SERV-023 AIRM conformance
- SWIM-SERV-024 Filter capabilities
- SWIM-SERV-025 Service behaviour
- SWIM-SERV-026 Model view
- SWIM-SERV-027 Service validation
- SWIM-SERV-028 Service monitoring
- SWIM-SERV-029 Examples of code
- Reference Material
- Resources for service descriptions
- Change log